Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Time on my hands















One of the things I love about Albania is the slower pace of life. Albania is a relationship-based society versus our American time-based society. This means it's OK if I'm half an hour late to a meeting because I met someone along the road and stopped to have a coffee with them. But this also means that some people stop their cars in the middle of the tangled traffic to greet someone they haven't seen in a while.

Living in Albania has given me the time and opportunity to try new things or develop hobbies. For example, since coming to Albania, I have learned how to cook lots of things from scratch, I've learned to knit (check out the hat I made all by myself!), sewing myself a dress, I've started scrapbooking, and my newest adventure is learning to play the guitar! I feel adventurous, getting to try new things and enjoy the new creation God is making me into!

2 comments:

Cheryl T. said...

I love the hat!! I have a scarf that looks like that...only a different color...made by a gal I've been mentoring. I love it.
Are you staying warm? I hope those flannel sheets are working wonders!
Talk to you soonish!

Anonymous said...

Hello... I found this website when I did a search on "living in Albania." I am married to an Alabian man and due to his immigration status we might be forced to leave the U.S. and live in Albania for who knows how long (I am a U.S. citizen). I want to ask you how the health care is in Albania. I'm a diabetic and have been on an insulin pump for several years. I feel comfortable asking you, although we've never met. My email address is ellen_gragjevi@yahoo.com. I really look forward to your response and I hope you are enjoying your stay in my honey's homeland. :) Thanks