Tuesday, October 25, 2005

bus cram

One of the "fun" parts of living in Albania is public transportation. It's usually not a pleasant experience. Not only do they not run on a regular schedule, but just when you think "There is NO possible way more people could fit in this space", they somehow FIND room! You get to hear them yelling "Move up more so people can get on" while I'm thinking "WHERE exactly do you want me to go??" Sometimes they are literally hanging out of the bus! My favorite bus story has to be when I thought there was no room left so I was standing on the stairs when along came a woman who thought otherwise and helped me out by placing her hands on my buttocks and pushing me up the steps. Talk about invasion of personal space!! And then when it's your stop, you have to push by all the people so that you can get out before the driver decides to slam the door shut. And you have to make sure that you keep track of your things because pickpocketers sometimes work in conjunction with the bus drivers! But today was one of my unusual good experiences where I actually got to use my bus ride as a prayer time and just really thanked God for not being stressed out about it. Praise God for small miracles!

1 comment:

Charley & Marianne said...

Mmmm....mmmm....mmmm....we totally understand what you are talking about!!! My favorite is when you are crammed by all those people on the bus and they talk about you to those right beside you like you don't understand what they are saying! Or....when they stare at you like you are from Mars! But, then I have to remember, like you said in another post, that this tiny country's isolation from the outside world really did a number on them. Their dictator was like a hyer-controlling parent that didn't let them think for themselves, and told them anything from the outside was evil. It's no wonder they stare. Doesn't mean I like it :-) or that I don't wish they'd just get over that!!!! ....because I do. I do, I do, I do!!!! But, then again...I too am thankful for those days when God reminds me to pray for them and respond to them in the way Jesus would.